8.16.2008

Personal Business

For those of you who care about my personal life in addition to my Arabic life, I finally finished my program. And my parents arrived in Amman. And we are now in Jerusalem.

I love Jerusalem. I really do. But I never realized how stressful directing my father in a rental car around the streets of East Jerusalem without a map could be. Directions are not a problem--I have the city memorized. Literally. But the problem is, I usually walk. And walkers don't care about one way streets.

Do you know how many one-way streets are in Jerusalem? Too many.

And, I accidentally made one of our hotel reservations for the wrong night. Hmm, that was a slight problem, since the hotel was full. Have I mentioned that I love Israelis? The hotel staff made a reservation for us at the next-door, more expensive hotel for the same price. Wait, do I really miss Jordan--already?! Ok, I just missed going to church on Friday. And I miss not having to be in charge. But I don't miss taxi drivers. And I don't miss smoke. I don't have to--there is plenty of it here!

Other delights--I went to church today and realized that, since the students went home three days ago, I knew all but 2 people in the branch. They were either my friends/co-workers from BYU who are now studying at Hebrew University, or they were in Jerusalem when I lived there last year, or I met them last time I was here (in June with the BYU Arabic group).

Small world, eh?

Ah well, six more days and then I get on a plane. And I am no longer in charge. And then three weeks later...

Mandarin.

1 comment:

Tianna said...

Dude! I know exactly how that goes. I had to direct my brother through the streets of Jerusalem in a rental car. And I had a map. My advice? Stay away from bus and taxi only roads and lanes. We actually got pulled over!

Also, I have a really random question to ask you and I can't find your email address anywhere, so I'm asking here. (Lame, I know.) I already asked Bro. Seely, but he left an hour after he got my email. Is it possible to get a bacon double cheeseburger on a Friday at the McDonald's on Shamai street? Can you email me back at sleepyspud at gmail dot com either telling me an answer or telling me that you have no idea? Also, I know you can get a bacon cheeseburger somewhere in Jerusalem, cuz my brother and I did it once. Do you happen to know where?

Related Posts with Thumbnails