8.13.2008

The Old City of Jerusalem

There is really no way to describe the Old City of Jerusalem. Crowded, noisy, chaotic, with religions clashing and tourists taking pictures. The smells of leather, olive wood, fabric, schwarma, pitas, spices, incense and pickled vegetables fill the air. Trash fills the street-but somehow, it seems to add to the atmosphere. Each part of the city feels different, and even if you are only across the street, you can tell when you have passed from the Muslim quarter to the Christian quarter, or from the Armenian to the Jewish quarter.

As I am about to return for the third time in a year and a half, I have been thinking about sharing this experience with others, most especially my parents. Those of you who have been, enjoy this reminder. Those who have not, I only wish I could add the sounds and smells and feelings that accompanied these pictures.

Enjoy.

























3 comments:

The Paradox said...

Wow...I forgot to take off my rose-colored glasses when I was looking at the cauliflower picture! No, really...what is that?

Becca said...

aww, how i miss pickled cauliflower...

Manda said...

Thanks for the pictures. I sure miss that place!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails