8.10.2008

Keeping Busy in the Middle East

I bet you have all been dying to know what I do to keep myself busy here in the Middle East, besides church callings and studying Arabic. And everything else that comes with living in the Middle East--which entails quite a bit, don't get me wrong.

Well, like at every other time in my life, I wished to be busier than I had time for.

Wish granted.

Before I even came to the Middle East, I let the word spread that I give free haircuts in the Middle East. I give free haircuts in Provo too, but that doesn't quite sound as cool.

Lest you think that one would be crazy to take me up on this offer, I did go to beauty school. But I never finished. (Yes, I am a beauty school drop-out. Does this change your opinion of me?) This is why I don't charge--in case I know how to do everything but one side, or something like that. I ask them instead to donate to the Perpetual Education Fund, but I don't know if anyone has actually done that...

Anyway, everyone here seems more than willing to take advantage of this free haircut thing, and I have probably given 12-15 haircuts while I have been here, with a couple more on the schedule before I leave.



I also teach piano--also for free. Man, I obviously have no business sense! I could be making a killing by now...

I teach several people in the branch (I am actually the "piano lessons coordinator") after church on Fridays, which is always a joy and a pleasure.

And finally, I teach piano lessons to two of the children in my homestay. This one, though, I do get paid for.

Good thing, too, with what I have to deal with! :) The other day Hashem climbed out of his chair and onto the dresser behind him. When I, shocked, asked what he was doing, he sat down like this and said, "Taking a yoga drink!"

I thought it was so funny that instead of being frustrated, I laughed and asked him to wait while I grabbed my camera. I actually teach these two kids every day, so I am more like their piano tutor.

Oh yeah, and I keep busy by playing with the cutest kids in Jordan...


(These are the branch president's children, Halen and Savannah. Grace, 1, is missing from the pictures.)

2 comments:

The Paradox said...

They're so cute!

Chicken Dust said...

I love the story of the yoga drink. Classic!

Related Posts with Thumbnails