6.12.2008

A Second Love

For the past couple of weeks I have been enjoying Jordan but upset that it wasn't Egypt. We all know about how I fell in love with that country, germs, nargileh, cockroaches, and all, and Jordan is just way too Westernized for me. Way too many people speak English, and I live in a rich neighborhood, with no problems of overcrowding or horse carts in the middle of traffic. Basically, it was not exotic enough for me.

However, last week I went with my roommate (not from BYU) to Wasat-Al-Balad--the closet thing to an "old city" that Jordan can get. It is full of overcrowding, hassling men, sketchy sidewalk restaurants, fresh juice shops, and plenty of old windows. In short, it is very much the Middle East.

And then the other day I was walking through my rich neighborhood, enjoying the evening, when I almost stumbled onto a Bedoin tent.

In the middle of the neighborhood.

I am not sure what it was doing there, but they had sheep in a sheep pen and everything.

I guess I have enough love in my heart for Jordan as well as Egypt and Jerusalem!




My roommate and I at the great restaurant, Hashem. This is where I said I was from Germany and she said she was from Turkey.










This is the day I got my mission call. I am a little excited, can you tell?

3 comments:

Chicken Dust said...

Great jumping pic!

Chicken Dust said...

But it totally looks like you are holding that flag!

breanne said...

Yeah, that was totally an accident. Looks cool though, eh?

Related Posts with Thumbnails