4.06.2008

A Two-Year Mission

As I sat through two glorious days of Conference this weekend, I realized that my perspective has been off and totally colored by my last study abroad experience. I have been focusing on all of the things that might be unpleasant, totally forgetting that I am a missionary-in-training, and since I am leaving on a mission right after I get back, I should look at this study abroad as a part of my mission. I have always wanted to serve a 2-year mission, instead of just 1.5 years!

However, this will be unlike a "real" mission because, don't worry, I won't be proselyting, or even answering questions about the gospel. Once again this subject is off limit--to the non-members. But Spencer told me that there are quite a few inactive members in the Amman branch--mostly Arab natives--and what better opportunity will I ever have to serve in this capacity? I am a guest in the country so the awkward things I am bound to do are a little more forgiveable. I am there to learn Arabic--and what better way to do that than by being with the natives? And, I am about to go on a mission--so I really just want to serve people and teach them about Jesus Christ, if not through my words then through my living testimony of the restored gospel of Christ.

Today as President Uchtdorf was speaking about President Monson's visit to Germany and his focus on the one, I realized that I am being given a great opportunity to do the same thing. I might be thinking unrealistically, but already I am imagining getting to know the members and the less actives and visiting with them and serving them all the time! Having done the touristy-type study abroad, now I am realizing more than ever that this truly will be my Arabic mission--if I let it! So those of you who read this, pray for me that I will be able to do the work of the Lord in Jordan and that I will know how I can help everyone, member and non-member alike, and prepare more fully to serve the Lord as a full-time missionary!

1 comment:

Manda said...

Breanne, you are going to be an amazing missionary. I know that you will be able to touch the lives of people in ways you wont even understand. I am so happy for you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails