4.03.2008

"This study abroad is just like depression or any other mental illness!" Prep class, day 4

As each day passes and I get closer and closer to this study abroad, I start to lose my resolve. Just a little. So, in the spirit of justifying Spencer's comment in the title, I will now list all of the reasons why I should cancel my application:

1. Cost. This study abroad is quite possibly the most expensive thing I have done--and thanks to the piddlance of $300 scholarship I got from the Kennedy Center, I am paying for it all by myself. The costs have gone up about $2,500 more than I was expecting last summer when I decided to go on this trip. And I am leaving on an expensive mission right after I get back!

2. Most days I hate Arabic. Really, I do. Arabic almost killed me last semester and I even lost my eyesight and had to get contacts. I am sick of vowelling sentences and I am sick of memorizing 100+ vocab words a week, and I am sick of taking quizzes in the hall twice a week, and I am sick of reading things that I am "supposed" to understand only to realize that I don't know 60% of the vocab words. Bully for me.

3. I am going on a mission--a week after I return! Couldn't I just speed up the process and go at the end of this semester...in 3 weeks?

4. I have to sell my car. Now, I bought this car with my own hard earned cash, and I will never get a steal like this again. Plus, I love my little red Matilda with all of her problems.

5. My dear friend Shayla is returning to BYU with her baby as her husband goes to Iraq--and I will be gone. No more needs to be said on the subject.

6. I do not want to go without a shower in the morning! I quite enjoy showering every morning...and I like hot water too.

7. I had enough trouble living with my own family--but living with someone else's family? And we don't even speak the same language!

8. Have I mentioned that I have no concrete goals or understanding of why I am studying Arabic? No goal=no motivation.

9. And speaking of Arabs. Personal space? Nope. A smoking society? Yep. Anything like my I-don't-show-emotion-in-public American counterparts? Nope. Overcrowded? Yep. Concerned with my personal business? You betcha.

But before I get to 10, I realize, who am I kidding? I am about to go and live in another country, speak another language, be another person, practically! Am I stoked out of my mind? Yes!!!

And now I just need to find a way to pay off my student loan...

2 comments:

Chicken Dust said...

you are crazy!...like he said, just like a mental illness :)

breanne said...

And now that it is over, and so is the mission, I can say that I didn't sell my car (no one would buy it), and I went on my mission three weeks after I got back, not one. And I did get to shower every morning.

This makes it better, right?

Related Posts with Thumbnails