3.20.2008

"Your First Trip to the Middle East is not your Last": Prep Class, Day 3

This week our prep class was about how to be an effective language learner while in country. Although he did tell us that our first trip to the Middle East would not be our last, we do need to take as much advantage of our situation as we can--meaning that we need be effective and efficient in our language learning. He told us several things to do that will help us learn the language better, and I have some pretty lofty goals...so I thought I would write them down so I can remember them--and so that I will be responsible for them to the people who read my blog!

1--I will only speak English when I am talking to someone who does not speak Arabic or when I am in an English-teaching position.

2--I will take every opportunity to speak/interact in Arabic.

3--I will involve myself in the branch there and take all the opportunities I can to get to know the members.

4--I will attend all of my classes prepared.

5--I will do all of my homework.

6--In down time, I will study Hans Wehr or the scriptures in Arabic.

Ok! Like I said, they are pretty lofty goals--but I really want to learn Arabic. I will let you all know how it goes--but after the sacrifices I have made for this trip, I can't imagine not taking advantage of this incredible language-learning opportunity that is offered to me!

Oh, and my favorite part of the class? Spencer was telling us about his CASA experience in Egypt. And he told us about this guy that knew practically every word in the Arabic language. And I could tell that this guy just bugged Spencer--because when someone in the class mentioned that when people are that much better than you, you should hang out with them so you can pick up similar skills, he countered that by saying that he couldn't handle hanging out with that guy so he just hung out with Arabs! If easy-going Spencer can be bugged by people on his program and still learn Arabic, I think I can too.

Of course, there were (as always) the random comments about people growing up reading dictionaries, and the same question asked twice within one minute, and the comment about kicking the half-brother out of the house, and a continual comparison of Arabs with French...

We are going to Jordan people, not France!!!

As always, it was a class of thrills. Can't wait till Jordan--with all of these same people!!! :)

1 comment:

Brooke S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails