3.13.2008

Jordan Study Abroad: Mission Prep 101

Last night we had our second study abroad prep class. I have recently been thinking about all the ways this study abroad will help me prepare for my mission (which, by the way, I will hopefully be leaving on a week after I return to the states...I start my papers on Sunday!!) and I had some beautiful insights yesterday.

First of all, Dil was our "special speaker" last night and he spoke to us about Arabic culture and all of the things that will probably drive us crazy...the whole time we are there. He told us some funny stories, like his experience of eating BEANS every day for breakfast when he lived in Egypt with a poor Egyptian family. After about 3 weeks, he couldn't handle it anymore! Who eats beans every day for breakfast?

Then he told us two things that will help us: being anthropologists and humility. I am realizing more than ever that this study abroad will help incredibly as I prepare for my mission. I will need humility as I try to speak a new language in a new country with a new culture. I will need humility as I live with a new family and adjust to their own culture and rules. I will need humility as I suffer with the Jordanians and their lack of water and shower two or three times a week (!!). I will need humility as a foreigner in a country that is very different from the one in which I live...and that is warring with their friends and families. I will need humility as I work with my fellow students and follow the rules that BYU imposes on me.

And, this humility will prepare me for my mission. And always being with a companion. And possibly living in a new country. And speaking a new language. And being a foreigner in a country where my message might not always be accepted. And being rejected even though I am bringing my brothers and sisters the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and the message of the plan of happiness. And trying to learn a new culture and a new people...even if I go to the states.

Needless to say, I am stoked.

PS--a few more of my favorites from last night's "things to expect in Jordan": hole-in-the ground toilets (been there...), constant heckling and harassament, expectations to stay at dinner with your host family for 2-3 hours at the least, showering every other day with cold showers, the ultimate heat oppressing me constantly, the disgusting food Dil talked about, awkward stories about saying the wrong Arabic phrase at the wrong time, and I could go on and on.

I can't stop laughing with glee at the stories I will have when I get back.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails