3.21.2008

"You want to go over in the middle of that mess?"

This is usually the response I get from people when I tell them I am about to move to Jordan. I just laugh (naturally) because, understandably, most people are ignorant about Jordan. Perhaps images of the Gaza strip or Saudi Arabia flash into their head and they think I am throwing myself into a war zone.

However, I always think, what mess?

So here are a few political/demographical facts about Jordan:

Officially the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Jordan has been a monarchy since just after WWI. Jordan (I compare it to Switzerland) works hard to maintain peace with all of its neighbors--including Israel, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Iraq--and they are incredibly successful. (When was the last time you heard about Jordan in the news?)

Plus, the country is economically stable, and everyone loves their king--the previous king, especially, was well-loved by his people. His wife was British, and the king now (their son--so half British) and his wife were educated in western styles.

The most recent terrorist activity in Jordan was in 2005 (November 9) when three suicide bombers attacked hotels in Jordan. It was big news because this sort of stuff never happens in Jordan.

Personally, when I went to Jordan last year, I was pleasantly surprised at the warm hospitality exuded by Jordanians to me as an American. Everyone that I talked to wanted to know if I knew their cousin in Chicago, or their brother in Houston. Actually, no, I did not.

And a funny story--I really wanted to go back and live in Jordan, and I applied for an intensive Arabic program last summer in Jordan! And now I am going to live for four months. I am excited--both for the experience for myself and also to let others know more about Jordan and our Arab friends...and that I am not "throwing myself into a mess" over there!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails